background image
Page 34
AUSTIN EXECUTIVE AIRPORT
A History of Austin's Newest General Aviation Airport
R
on
W. H
enRiksen
Chapter 2
the heavy horizontal crossbeams in place or
just standing around talking and pointing.
Weeks later they nailed walls in place and
installed windows.
At noon each day, Mary and a friend set up a
picnic table next to the camper and served up
a lunch of fried chicken and baked beans and
pan-fried cornbread--and some days green
fried tomatoes, fried okra, sliced cucumbers,
a bowl of odd-shaped peppers hot enough to
stop conversation and collard greens, if she
could find them.
In May 1967 a fellow member of the Exper-
imental Aircraft Association, John O. Yokie,
wrote a short article for the EAA Austin chap-
ter newsletter about the progress of Bird's
Nest Airport. The article included two photos
of the tower in mid-construction, wrapped in
black tar paper and ready for siding. Extend-
ing out of the back of the building were more
half-buried telephone poles and the Spartan
framework for the roof of the new mechanic's
shop and hangar.
By year-end the airport was coming to-
gether. The runway was level but bumpy, the
hangars complete, and the tower finally had a
phone and a water chlorinator and a pump to
carry water from the duck pond to the water
1967. Ray Harding standing next to his 1941 Piper J-3 Cub (with its 65-horsepower engine) in front of the
completed pole house/flight office and attached shop hangar. Photo courtesy of Dave Mandot.